Friday, January 4, 2008

Mission: Possible

You know, I haven't made an actually hypnosis related post in a while, and since the Yang is out in town, I need to fill up the time any how.

It's funny how many common misconceptions about hypnosis there are... I mean, most of the people I talk to about it, at school say, when I tell someone that I have a British hypnotist friend, they give me a really strange look and think that I'm crazy. They either refuse to believe that it actually works, or they think it's some sort of brainwashing. Given, brainwashing DOES use hypnosis, BUT... hypnosis is not brainwashing. Not on it's own anyway.

I think it was Martin Orne who publicized the notion that a person couldn't be hypnotized if they did not want to be, nor could they be hypnotized to do something that they were actually morally opposed to.

This theory is debatable, seeing as how all the hypno-junkies I know seem to have a different opinion on it.

I think I believe in it, just because most of a person's morals are located in the subconscious, so therefore an immoral suggestion would have more of a chance to be rejected... but, also, if one targeted the morals themselves and tweaked them... that might actually work as well, it really all depends on the person and how strong he or she sets his or her morals.

However, even though I enjoy hypnosis as a part of BDSM mind control, that's not what it's all about, there are actually lines of work, even some that are growing in popularity recently, that use hypnosis, like hypno-anesthesiology for example, where patients undergoing surgery and are worried about the anesthesia can use hypnosis instead. And, of course hypnotherapy...

Which comes to the title of my post, hypnosis makes so many things possible, even if it's self hypnosis. Most of the people who have already visited this blog probably know everything I'm saying, but this is for the people with a small budding interest but no real background.

Hypnosis is not just a kinky, occult form of coercing someone's will; it is a real method for change and personal growth. <3

It's helped me so much, and... well... since my Master Yang is highly respectful of any limits that I may have at the time, all in all? It's probably why I'm such an addict to it in the first place. At least it's a healthy addiction, as is blogging, right? I mean, there are muuuuccccchhhhhhhhhh more awful things than self-improvement and making Master Yang happy. <3

So. Yea. There's the lecture for the day. Hehe.

*comment whores*

6 comments:

Mirehn said...

Heh, a continuation of our convo about hypnosis? :p

It's good to hear more of what you are writing. An interesting post, which I am sure will be invaluable to newcomers.

Yin said...

Doesn't invaluable mean not valuable? Forgive my American stupidity if it doesn't. XP

Hehe~ Thanks for posting Mirehn, it was a good discussion at the least.

Mirehn said...

It means "unable to be valued", in the same way that "priceless" means no price can be high enough.

Yin said...

Ahh. Hehe. *feels dumb*

HypnoMaster D said...

Most subjects 'buy' that old line, that you can't be made to do something under hypnosis that you'd ordinarily object to.

I am pretty sure it's not true, which I gather is what you suspect as well.

Anonymous said...

Morals are such slippery and flexible things, aren't they? And they're often due to context, so if you change someone's context or perception or whatever, et cetera...

Thanks for posting, yin! We're all looking forward to hearing about the ways that Master has "improved" you, so please give us lots and lots of details and examples! :)